software for video streaming

How to get equipment hooked up, working, and get video staying in spec.

Postby Jaime » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi ,

I am looking for a software and hardware that will allow 4 video cameras to transmit over the web.

We need it for online class over the web.

We don't need any contact with students.
Last edited by Jaime on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaime
New to the forums

Postby Eric Adler » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 am

Hi Jaime, Welcome!

A few questions that will lead to an answer (or more):
What price range are you looking?
What bandwidth do you need to cover and/or restrict yourself to?
Do you need to stream all four videos from the same location? Multiplexed into a quad view, four video feeds with one fed at a time, or four streams all viewable [per-choice] by all clients?

Any other details you can provide?
Eric Adler
Site Admin

Postby Jaime » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Eric,

First , let me thank you for the response.
1) price limit around 800$
2) 5MB
3) All the video / online transmission are from the same location
4) only one video will be show

Thanks,
Jaime
Last edited by Jaime on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaime
New to the forums

Postby Eric Adler » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:42 am

If you are only showing one camera at a time, I would get a video switcher (something as simple as a 4x1 [example] will do, or even a cheap $5 "multiple input switcher" for a tv set with RCA-Ins or you can go all out and get a used production switcher (not quite as cheap).
Then, you will need a capture device. I currently use a Dazzle DPM USB (USB 1.1 MPEG stream Encoder, resolution is about 1/2 D1). You can pick up an "Analog TV capture card" with composite input quite cheap right now in the US with the switch to ATSC (DTV), even with full DV or D1 resolution.
For a capture device (card or usb) with proper drivers on Windows (WDM) or Linux (V4L/V4L2), there is a variety of software available to manage a stream or streams. VLC* is very configurable although it isn't very user friendly for users not acquainted with streaming and IP technologies, Windows Media Encoder is available (for Windows) for free and can create streams and compressed files and is a bit more user-friendly than VLC. Many other options are available (including tools designed for webcams that post a jpeg image each minute and set the page to refresh for viewers), but these options listed (along with a websearch) should get you started.

Let us know if there's anything more you want input on :)

* I am a bit biased, I mean, my name is [finally] in the thanks file ;)
Eric Adler
Site Admin

Postby sabrasmith11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

I tried alot but one thing for sure all those that we used are not enough what a user demand & want . It is basically a difficult one .
watch your favorite celeb in your favorite Online Movie without downloading them free
sabrasmith11
New to the forums

Return to Video